Philosophy of Admissions
We look for young people who can benefit from and contribute to the educational and religious mission of the school. In order to maintain a strong educational environment, an admissions process has been established to help inform the Admissions Committee about a student’s ability to perform academically to our expectations in a college preparatory program.
Special consideration is given to those applicants who already have a link with our school community. We usually respond affirmatively to siblings of present students and to children of faculty, provided we are not setting the child up for failure, or placing the child within a competitive situation that would adversely affect the student’s self-image and/or future goals. We do this because we believe a family that has demonstrated loyalty and commitment deserves a positive response from us.
Children of alumni and those who have already demonstrated a commitment to Catholic education receive an edge in the admissions process, but only if the student has scored in an acceptable range, has performed well in the present school, and has received satisfactory teacher recommendations.
While we are committed to accepting and producing well-rounded students, athletic ability or excellence in other co-curricular activities are not criteria for acceptance, and are not considered during the admission process.
Decisions are based on nationally-normed entrance exam results, current performance in school as evidenced by school transcripts and teacher recommendations.
During the unsual circumstances brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic, we are adding additional online resources, sessions, and tours of the school. You can find current resources via this link and we will be adding more all the time.
If you have any questions, you can always reach Director of Admissions Susan Gasbarro, ’93, at 401-769-0310 x177 or via email: GasbarroS@mtstcharles.org
- Saturday, November 16, 2019 – Entrance exam for middle school students
- Saturday, December 7, 2019: Entrance exam for middle and high schools
- Saturday, December 14, 2019 – Entrance exam for middle and high schools
- Notification of decision: Friday, January 31, 2020
- Sunday, Feb. 9, 2020 – Accepted Students Day
- Monday, March 2, 2020 – Registration forms due
- April – Course selection begins
Middle school and high school students
- Saturday, December 7, 2019
- Saturday, December 14, 2019 (make-up date)
Middle school students only
- Saturday, Nov. 16, 2019
Students should arrive at 8 AM and will be brought to classrooms at 8:15 AM. Because this is a timed test, we are unable to accommodate late arrivals. Middle school applicants will be done at 10:45 AM and high school applicants are to complete their exams at 11:45 AM. There is no registration for entrance exams, as it is included in each prospective student’s application, which can be accessed here. Following the entrance exams, prospective students will be notified of their results and potential acceptance on Friday, January 31, 2020.
For more information, please contact Director of Admissions Susan Gasbarro, ’93, at 401-769-0310 x177 or via email: GasbarroS@mtstcharles.org
Tuition & Financial Aid
At Mount, we’ve made providing financial assistance to eligible families to meet the costs of tuition a priority – that’s why more than $500,000 is awarded annually to our families. Details and requirements are outlined below, as are tuition rates, scholarships, and grant-funded financial assistance opportunities.
We welcome you to contact Carrie Saladin of the Mount business office at 401-769-0310, ext. 107, or by emailing email@example.com with any additional questions.
2020-2021 TUITION & FEES
Grades 6-8: $9,800
Grades 9-12 & Post Grad: $14,975
International Student: $18,975
2020-2021 Annual Fees (All Students)
- Electronic Text Fee for Online Resources: $40
- Book and Uniform Fees: Vary (Parent’s Council annually offers a used book and uniform sale)
Program or Grade Level Specific Fees
- New Students Only Registration Fee: $250 One Time
- Seniors Only Graduation Fee: $300 One Time
- Members of Figure Skating Academy Fee: $3,500 Annually
- Members of Gymnastics Academy Fee: $5,000 Annually ($4,725 payable to OSSG, $275 payable to Mount Saint Charles Academy)
Boarding Students Only Residential Fee: $22,480 Annually
Boarding Student Damage Deposit: $300 (new students only)
TUITION PAYMENT PLAN OPTIONS
All tuition payments are paid through FACTS (Fast Automatic Cash Transfer System) Tuition Management.
After the payment plan has begun, any changes to the payment plan will be subject to a change fee of $45.
The Tuition Payment Policy adopted by the School Board allows three methods of payment:
- Option 1: Full payment by June 1 payable through F.A.C.T.S.
- Option 2: Two equal semester payments with 1/2 due June 1st and 1/2 due December 1 payable through F.A.C.T.S.
- Option 3: Eleven month payments (June-April) payable through the F.A.C.T.S. Monthly Payment Plan. This is the only monthly plan available.
Option 1 & Option 2: There will be no enrollment fee for a family selecting Option 1 or Option 2. Families selecting either payment option will be able to make their payment online, over the phone, or by mailing a check directly to FACTS. Families may also enroll in an automated payment plan using a checking account, savings account, or credit card.
Option 3: There will be an enrollment fee of $50 for families selecting Option 3. Families selecting Option 3 must enroll with an automated payment plan using a checking account, savings account, or credit card. In-house payment plans will not be accepted. This option is not available for international students.
Peace of Mind Insurance ($18) through FACTS is optional tuition insurance in the event of parental death.
PAYMENT DATE CHANGES: Mount will allow families in the FACTS system to change payment dates by up to seven (7) days. FACTS allows this up to three (3) times a year. The last payment of the year can not be changed.
AUTOMATIC REGISTRATION RENEWAL PROCESS FOR CURRENT STUDENTS
Mount Saint Charles must be notified by this date if:
- you wish to change the payment plan option for the next school year; or
- you do not plan to re-enroll your child at Mount.
- Mount will continue to bill you under the same tuition payment plan for the duration of your child’s enrollment unless notified in writing prior to February 24 for the upcoming school year.
- Students are considered registered students for the next year after February 24
TUITION & REGISTRATION GUIDELINES
- New students are not considered officially enrolled until the online tuition agreement/contract is completed and submitted with payment of $900 ($650 tuition deposit and $250 one-time registration fee) and a FACTS tuition payment agreement has been created. For new boarding students a 10% non refundable deposit of $2,248 is due in order to be reserved a spot in the residence hall.
- All tuition payments are to have an agreed upon due date according to the payment option chosen.
- Students on the monthly payment plan (Option 3) may not begin school until at least three months tuition has been paid (June, July, and August); students on other payment plans must have completed the agreed upon payments (full payment for Option 1 or one semester payment for Option 2).
- No payments for the current school year will extend beyond April 30 of that year.
- The Academy reserves the right not to accept personal or business checks under certain circumstances.
- A $45 fee will be charged for checks that are returned by the bank due to insufficient funds.
- Personal or business checks will not be accepted as payment for a previous check that was returned by the bank; payment will be accepted only in cash or with a money order.
- 8. When a parent/guardian is unable to meet an agreed upon date for payment, the parent/guardian must contact the Business Office immediately in order to make alternate arrangements.
- For accounts that are in arrears(delinquent), the penalties may include any or all of the following:
- An account shall be considered delinquent if not paid within twenty (20) days of the payment due date.
- Delinquent accounts will be charged a late payment fee of $45.
- Students with accounts more than thirty (30) days in arrears may be removed from classes and will be prohibited from participation in any Mount sponsored activity until the delinquency is corrected.
- Students missing more than fifteen (15) days of class because of overdue tuition will be withdrawn.
- A child will not be permitted to take exams/end of semester tests until such payment is made and thus will not complete the semester or academic year or be promoted;
- The parents may be asked to withdraw the child from the Academy;
- Class schedules will be withheld prior to the commencement of a new school year until payments are received.
- Students will be prohibited from participating in school trips scheduled outside of regular school time.
- Families choosing an ACH payment plan that miss a payment due to insufficient funds will be automatically charged a $30 fee by FACTS Tuition Management.
- FACTS will reattempt withdrawal of a returned payment fifteen (15) calendar days after the original payment date.
- Graduating seniors must meet all student obligations prior to receiving a cap and gown and tickets for graduation.
PAYMENT POLICIES FOR GRADUATION
- Final tuition payment for Seniors must be remitted by April 30 or graduation packets will not be released.
- All tuition payments and other obligations to the school must be met before graduation or a student will not be permitted to participate in graduation ceremonies and other related activities.
- A diploma and transcripts will not be issued until all tuition and obligations owed to the Academy have been paid.
TUITION REFUND POLICIES
- A registered student who withdraws before the start of the next school year (between February 24 and June 30) will be charged $500.
- Withdrawal of a new student before July 1st of the entry year commences will result in the non-reimbursement of both the registration fee and the tuition deposit.
- Students who are withdrawn or dismissed from Mount Saint Charles Academy for any reason will be responsible for the tuition per the following schedule. Official school records, including transcripts and final grades, will not be released until all tuition obligations have been fully met in accordance with the following schedule.**
- 7/1 through 8/31 – responsible for 20% of Net Tuition + $250 processing fee
- 9/1 through 9/30 – responsible for 40% of Net Tuition + $250 processing fee
- 10/1 through 10/31 – responsible for 60% of Net Tuition + $250 processing fee
- 11/1 through 11/30 – responsible for 80% of Net Tuition + $250 processing fee
- 12/1 through 12/31 – responsible for 100% of Net Tuition + $250 processing fee
- Boarding students who are withdrawn or dismissed from Mount Saint Charles Academy for any reason will be responsible for the residential fee per the following schedule. Official school records, including transcripts and final grades, will not be released until all tuition obligations have been fully met in accordance with the following schedule.
- On or Before 10/31 – responsible for 50% of Residential Fee
- On or After 11/1 – responsible for 100% of Residential Fee
- Transcripts and records will not be forwarded to any school or party unless all tuition and fee obligations are met.
- Withdrawal of an international student after July 1st of the entry year will result in the non-reimbursement of full 100% tuition.
CREDIT CARD PAYMENTS TO MOUNT SAINT CHARLES
In rare cases, credit card payments for tuition and fees may be accepted and will be charged a three percent (3%) plus $45 fee.
Cafeteria Negative Balance Policy
Students with negative balances will not be allowed to charge for purchases and will need to bring their own lunch until the balance is paid. Students will receive warnings at the register as balances move toward zero. Negative balances as of December 25th will be applied to the next tuition FACTS payment in January. Negative balances as of Memorial Day will be applied to the next tuition FACTS payment for returning students. . As a reminder, we encourage you to prepay money into your child’s account. This can be done at www.myschoolbucks.com. This program allows you to set recurring payments and easily pay balances by credit card. The program also automatically sends low balance notifications.
Grants / Financial Aid
- Financial Aid must be applied for each year for all students and is awarded based on financial need.
- Applications are only reviewed once a family applies for admission.
- Students on disciplinary probation will not be considered regardless of need. If significant disciplinary problems arise mid-year, financial aid award may be revoked and the full tuition balance will become due.
- Students must maintain a “C” average in order to continue receiving financial aid. Students receiving an average less than “C” will no longer be eligible for financial assistance.
- Students who do not meet the academic requirements of the school and are repeatedly placed on Academic Probation may have their financial aid rescinded.
- Financial aid will be applied evenly across all scheduled payments, based on the payment selection.
- If a student withdraws from school before the end of the year, financial aid will be proportional to the time the student attended school.
Need-based grants are determined using the recommendations of an independent firm that summarizes financial data as provided by the parents along with special circumstances made known to the Academy. There are no set amounts, but our philosophy is to help as many families as possible with some aid rather than a few families with large amounts of aid.
Apply for Financial Aid online at https://online.factsmgt.com/signin/3CLYQ. The initial deadline is set by the Diocese of Providence in mid-February. On-time applications are crucial for families seeking significant aid. We accept applications after the deadline, though the amount of available money diminishes as the next school year approaches. Contact the MSC Business Office for specific information regarding your Financial Aid application.
Financial Aid and Family Recipient Commitments
Families must accept the offer of financial assistance and sign the agreement that indicates understanding the requirements to assist Mount in the following ways:
- 10 hours of volunteer work to the Academy by parents and child
- Participate and raise required funds in the annual walkathon
- Child will participate in at least one extracurricular activity
- Participate in other Institutional Advancement events like the auction, annual fund, parent council events, band concerts, communion breakfasts, etc.
The Financial Aid Agreement must be signed and returned before financial aid awards are released. Families that do not live up to the agreement will not be offered financial aid in the next year.
Alumni Legacy Award (Grades 9-12): Mount is pleased to offer a $500 discount to children of Mount alumni (max one per child). This discount is applied to each child attending Mount. These scholarships are renewable each year the student attends MSC in grades 9-12 and is a student in good standing.
Multiple-Child Discount Rate (Grades 6-12): Mount is pleased to be able to offer a discount to families making an investment for more than one child (dependent) attending Mount at the same time. Tuition discounts are listed below.
The discount rate is:
- Second child – 10%
- Third child – 25%
- Fourth child – 40%
- Fifth child and beyond – Free
Woonsocket Resident Award(Grades 6-12): $1000 discounts are available for all Woonsocket residents that qualify for financial aid. A financial aid application must be completed. These scholarships are renewable each year the student attends MSC and is a student in good standing.
Corporate Park Partnerships: Mount is currently partnering with Highland Corporate Park, Fidelity, AMICA, and Blackstone Valley Place. Employees receive a tuition award (one award max per family). A parent need to simply provide a letter to the Mount Business Office from his or her employer, indicating that he or she is an employee of a company in the park. This letter must be provided by August 1 prior to the start of the new school year.
Academic & Merit Scholarships (Grades 6-12): Academic and merit scholarships are awarded through the admissions process. These awards are given to students that take entrance exam at Mount Saint Charles and complete the application process by January 15. Financial awards that honor achievement throughout the Mount experience are also given annually.