Join Mount Saint Charles Academy to be inspired. Our fine arts program nurtures creativity, abstract thinking, and presentation skills, and encourages students to be inspired by their own talents. Classes accommodate students of every ability level, from beginners to burgeoning pros, encouraging them to find their creative outlets. Students can choose from a varied palette of music, art, dance, and drama classes. Our music program that began when the school was founded in 1924 includes instrumental and choral music. Visual arts students can choose from drawing, painting, two- and three-dimensional design, computer design, and architecture. For thespians, our 6th- through 9th-grade and 10th- through 12th-grade drama clubs produce two plays a year, respectively. Dancers can move from modern, to ballet, to jazz.
The arts at Mount extend beyond the stage and studio. Teachers incorporate arts into interdisciplinary lessons on cultural awareness, heritage, and diversity. Our Fine Arts Community Outreach Program sends students out in the community to share their creative gifts. Our wildly popular summer “Fine Arts Camp” offers everything from music to video game design. At Mount, we know art represents a way of connecting, sharing stories in a variety of ways, and inspiring students to follow where passion pulls them.
- The Fine Arts Department was named a “Creative Ticket School of Excellence” by a program sponsored by the Kennedy Center Alliance for Arts Education Network, and locally by the Rhode Island Alliance for Arts Education. Mount was also selected as the state nominee for the national competition.
- Grammy award winners and prestigious musicians visit Mount to work with students in small classroom settings and one-on-one
- Students perform artists’ commission pieces, allowing professional composers to hear their musical pieces come alive for the first time
- Variety of musical opportunities including the strings program, instrumental band, wind ensemble, chorus, jazz band, handbells, and steel drums
- Wide range of visual art classes including drawing, painting, two- and three-dimensional design, computer design, and architecture
- Four theatre productions annually
- Several musical performances each year, housed at Mount’s campus and in the community
- Multiple dance genres including modern, jazz, ballet, and tap
- International travel opportunities
“When I came to Mount in 7th-grade, I knew very few people. However, the Fine Arts Department welcomed me with open arms. I’ve always loved art and music, but what made me truly love this department were the educators that accompanied it. The teachers in each division – band, art, dance, chorus, theater – are very passionate and art extremely enthusiastic, calling each student to experience the same excitement and joy that comes along with the arts. They teach the most important lesson: It’s not the destination that matters, but the journey that you take and the people you meet along the way.” – Olivia Charbonneau, Class of 2019